The Bundibugyo virus outbreak has become the deadliest in Congo’s history, but WHO says a three-month containment push remains possible if resources and tracing improve.
BUNIA, DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO — The World Health Organization says the Democratic Republic of the Congo’s Ebola outbreak could still be brought under control within roughly three months if enough resources are deployed, even as the epidemic has become the deadliest recorded in the country and continues spreading across six provinces.
WHO incident manager Thierno Balde said Tuesday that containment remained achievable, but the agency’s response plan is underfunded and transmission is still outrunning tracing in many areas.
Congolese data reported this week put the outbreak at 4,945 confirmed cases and 2,325 deaths, surpassing the country’s 2018–2020 Ebola outbreak in deaths. The figures are changing rapidly and should always be tied to a reporting date.
WHO’s Disease Outbreak News report using data through August 12 recorded 4,665 confirmed cases and 2,184 deaths in Congo, with cases across 54 health zones in six provinces. Later national reporting accounts for the higher totals now being cited by Reuters, AP and European health authorities.
Bundibugyo strain complicates the response
The outbreak is caused by Bundibugyo virus, a species of Ebola virus for which there is no approved vaccine or specific treatment. That separates the current emergency from outbreaks caused by Zaire ebolavirus, for which licensed vaccines and therapeutics have transformed response options.
Clinical studies are evaluating candidate vaccines and treatments, but those programs cannot yet substitute for the core outbreak-control tools: rapid diagnosis, isolation, safe care, contact tracing, community engagement and safe burials.
The operational challenge is severe. WHO and Africa CDC have reported gaps in contact follow-up, and current officials say a large share of new patients have no known link to a previously identified case. That means response teams are finding transmission chains after infections have already spread.
Funding gap threatens the three-month objective
WHO has sought about $115 million for the response and, according to the agency’s Tuesday briefing as reported by Reuters, had raised roughly 60% of that amount. The gap affects staffing, treatment capacity, surveillance, logistics and community work across a region already strained by armed conflict and weak infrastructure.
The outbreak began in northeastern Congo and has expanded across Ituri, North Kivu, South Kivu, Haut-Uélé, Tshopo and Bas-Uélé. Ituri remains the center of transmission.
Africa CDC officials have been more cautious about the timeline, warning that the epidemic is not yet under control. That does not necessarily contradict WHO’s three-month target: one statement describes the present situation, while the other describes what may be possible if the response is fully resourced and executed.
For readers outside the region, the CDC says the risk to the US public and travelers remains low, but the emergency is internationally significant because sustained transmission increases the possibility of further cross-border spread.
The next major indicators are whether contact follow-up improves, whether the share of unlinked cases falls and whether new health zones stop reporting infections. A three-month objective is therefore a conditional public-health target, not a prediction that the outbreak will end on a fixed date.
Published: 18 August 2026, 2:49 p.m.
More from Health
View all in this section- Loading related stories…