Two Phoenix Police Officers Fired and Arrested Over Alleged Violent Stop

Two Phoenix Police Officers Fired and Arrested Over Alleged Violent Stop
Two Phoenix Police Officers Fired and Arrested Over Alleged Violent Stop — PHOENIX, UNITED STATES — Two former officers face multiple felony allegations after an investigation into an unreported traffic stop involv...

PHOENIX, UNITED STATES — Two former officers face multiple felony allegations after an investigation into an unreported traffic stop involving physical force and a Taser.

Two Phoenix police officers were fired and arrested Saturday after an internal criminal investigation into an August 5 traffic stop that authorities allege involved assaults on a man and woman, use of a Taser and attempts to conceal what happened.

Police Chief Matt Giordano identified the former officers as Luis Vasquez Jr. and Antonio Felix, both assigned to the South Mountain Precinct. Giordano said investigators uncovered what he characterized as substantially more evidence of serious criminal conduct before detectives interviewed the men in the presence of their lawyers and took them into custody.

The Phoenix Police Department says the stop occurred at about 11:30 p.m. on August 5 near 19th Avenue and Broadway Road in south Phoenix. Investigators concluded that both occupants of the vehicle were subjected to physical force and that a Taser was used.

Neither former officer activated his body-worn camera, and the stop was not documented as required by department policy. Those omissions became central to the investigation after another police agency began asking questions about the vehicle involved.

Vasquez and Felix are accused of offenses including kidnapping, aggravated assault, aggravated robbery, threatening and intimidating, criminal damage, hindering prosecution and tampering with evidence. Police also listed a felony assault allegation involving a person who was bound or physically restrained. The charges are accusations and have not been proven in court.

Tempe police encounter helped expose the unreported stop

The investigation appears to have begun not with a routine Phoenix Police report, but after Tempe officers encountered circumstances they found suspicious.

According to Phoenix police and local reporting, Tempe officers found the couple’s vehicle abandoned near Priest Drive and Baseline Road shortly after midnight on August 6 and asked Phoenix police to contact the registered owner.

Phoenix police said Vasquez and Felix became aware of that call and reported that they had made no contact at the registered owner’s residence. Dispatch records, however, showed that the two officers had checked the vehicle’s license plate, according to the department. When later asked about the vehicle, both allegedly denied having conducted a stop or interacted with its occupants.

Tempe police eventually spoke with the registered owner and the people who had been in the vehicle. The account was initially so unusual that Tempe investigators considered whether the encounter had involved criminals posing as police officers rather than actual officers, local reporting said.

That inquiry ultimately pointed back to Phoenix police personnel.

The department said location data from the officers’ marked police vehicle placed it near 19th Avenue and Broadway Road, where the alleged confrontation occurred.

Police allege force was used against both occupants

Authorities have released significantly more detail about the alleged encounter since the investigation first became public.

According to the Phoenix Police account reported by Arizona’s Family, officers allegedly broke a window to gain access to the vehicle and forced the occupants out. The woman reported being put in an arm restraint, shocked with a Taser and handcuffed before being placed on a sidewalk.

Police allege Vasquez punched the male driver while Felix deployed his Taser. Investigators also accuse Vasquez of threatening to shoot the driver.

The man eventually left the scene in the vehicle, while the woman was allegedly restrained in a police car before being released. Authorities say both later sought medical treatment.

Those details are allegations derived from the police investigation and victim accounts. They have not been tested at trial, and the publicly available material reviewed for this article does not establish that either former officer has entered a plea.

No body-camera recording exists

The absence of body-worn-camera footage is one of the most consequential elements of the case.

Phoenix police had already acknowledged before the arrests that the officers failed to activate their cameras despite department rules requiring them to do so during the stop. KJZZ reported on August 18 that the department was investigating both the use of force and the lack of required documentation.

Arizona’s Family later reported that Tempe police do possess body-camera recordings of interviews with the alleged victims as well as photographs documenting reported injuries, although those materials were not immediately available to the public.

The difference is important: there is no known Phoenix body-camera recording documenting the traffic stop itself, but investigators may possess other video, dispatch, vehicle-location, medical or testimonial evidence bearing on what happened.

Giordano said Saturday that detectives had gathered substantially more information before making the arrests. The department has not publicly released the complete evidentiary record.

Investigation may extend beyond the two former officers

The criminal case is only one part of the department’s response.

Giordano said Phoenix Police’s Professional Standards Bureau will conduct an administrative investigation to determine whether anyone else was involved and whether the case reveals broader systemic concerns.

That review could examine supervision, reporting practices, knowledge of the incident inside the department and whether any other employee failed to act after learning about the alleged stop.

Vasquez had served with Phoenix police for about eight years and Felix for about nine years, according to Arizona’s Family. Both worked in patrol operations at the South Mountain Precinct.

They had been placed on paid administrative leave on August 13 before their dismissal and arrests nine days later.

Prosecutors review cases in which officers were witnesses

The consequences could also reach criminal prosecutions unrelated to the August 5 traffic stop.

The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office told ABC15 before the arrests that it was reviewing open cases in which Vasquez or Felix had been identified as witnesses. Prosecutors said assigned attorneys were being notified so relevant information could be disclosed to defense lawyers.

Such reviews matter because allegations involving an officer’s honesty, evidence handling or official conduct can become relevant to a defendant’s ability to challenge that officer’s credibility in another criminal case.

The prosecutor’s office said at the time that the effect on pending cases was not yet known.

That uncertainty remains significant because the allegations against Vasquez and Felix include hindering prosecution and tampering with evidence — accusations that may draw scrutiny to previous cases in which their testimony or investigative work was material.

Arrests shift case from internal review to criminal proceedings

The arrests mark a major change from the department’s position earlier in the week.

On August 18, Phoenix police publicly acknowledged that two officers were under criminal investigation and had been placed on leave. At that point, officials had not named them and said a special investigative unit was reviewing their conduct before a separate internal inquiry would begin.

By Saturday, Giordano said the evidence justified both termination and arrest.

He also sought to distinguish the alleged conduct from the department as a whole, while acknowledging the damage such allegations can do to public confidence. KJZZ reported that Giordano said the department’s response would extend beyond the two arrests and into a broader professional-standards review.

The next stage will move increasingly into the criminal courts, where prosecutors will have to establish the factual basis for any charges they pursue and the former officers will have the opportunity to contest the allegations.

More from Crime

View all in this section
  • Loading related stories…

Keep comments relevant and respectful. Do not post spam, threats, personal information, copyrighted material without authorization, or unsupported allegations. Comments may be moderated or removed.

Previous article Next article

Contact